A German military base near the western city of Cologne was temporarily closed on Wednesday as authorities investigated the possible sabotage of water supplies. The Cologne-Wahn barracks employs around 5,500 people, including 4,300 soldiers and 1,200 civilians, according to German newspaper Der Spiegel. A military spokesman, Ulrich Fonrobert, said that a hole was discovered in a fence leading to waterworks at the Cologne-Wahn barracks. He continued: “In addition, the barracks were closed because it could not be ruled out at the time that the person was still on the premises.” However, the perpetrators were not found “despite an intensive search.” The barracks have now reopened although the drinking water system has been shut down as a precautionary measure, Fonrobert said. “We are taking this incident very seriously; police, military police and military counterintelligence services (MAD) are investigating,” he added. Also on Wednesday, the security level at a NATO air base…
Japanese railways and airlines are canceling services as Typhoon Ampil gathers strength in the western Pacific, with the storm…
Conflict between elephants and humans is a growing, and potentially deadly, problem in some parts of India. Now, the…
As Kyiv’s forces advance farther into Russia following their surprise incursion last week, Ukrainians living near the border are watching…
People in Kiribati went to the polls on Wednesday for the first round of voting in a national election…
Toomaj Salehi, the Iranian dissident rapper who escaped the death penalty earlier this summer has been cleared entirely of…
A Russian court has sentenced a Russian-American woman to 12 years in prison for treason after she made a…
New Zealand is set to extradite internet mogul Kim Dotcom to the United States after the country’s justice minister…
More than 40,000 Palestinians have been killed in Gaza since Israel launched its war against Hamas, the health ministry in the enclave said Thursday, yet another…