South Korea’s government fabricated birth records, falsely reported children had been abandoned and failed to properly conduct safety checks of prospective parents during its postwar frenzy of sending babies overseas for adoption, a long-awaited investigation reported on Wednesday. Authorities say more than 200,000 South Korean children have been adopted overseas since the 1950s, when the impoverished country was rebuilding from the devastation of World War II and the Korean War – giving rise to a massive and lucrative adoption industry. Many of those adopted children, now adults scattered across the globe and trying to trace their origins, have accused agencies of coercion and deception, including in some cases forcibly removing them from their mothers. On Wednesday, the government’s Truth and Reconciliation Commission released its findings on the first 100 cases analyzed out of 367 total petitions filed by adoptees sent overseas between 1964 and 1999. The adoptees hail from 11…
A light earthquake rattled Beijing overnight, waking residents and sending students rushing from their dorms as videos of shaking…
US President Donald Trump told Newsmax he believes Russia wants to end its war with Ukraine, but that Moscow…
Britain’s Prince Harry said he was “in shock” after quitting as a patron of Sentebale, a British charity he…
More than a thousand people have been detained during protests following the jailing of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu, Turkish…
Israel is making plans for a potential major ground offensive in Gaza that would involve sending tens of thousands…
Israel’s security cabinet has approved a controversial proposal to facilitate Palestinian emigration from Gaza, a move critics warn could…
Andrew Tate and his brother, Tristan, arrived at a police station in Romania on Monday, where the self-proclaimed misogynist…